DTG web site home page
Leading the evolution of television
The DTG is the centre for collaboration at the heart of the digital TV industry. More than 125 companies are members of the DTG, and collectively we drive innovation and growth in the television and technology sectors.
We're the only impartial space of its kind in the UK, and the joint expertise from DTG Members continues to define the technologies that make the UK a world-leading TV industry and ensure market interoperability.
DTG Daily News Roundup
Blu-ray launch UHD consumer website, BBC Three to move online from February 2016, DTT Protected for another ten years
The BDA launches new consumer-facing, interactive website
The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) have launched a consumer-facing interactive website demonstrating all of the features and benefits of Ultra HD Blu-ray players and discs.
The site is full of essential information about resolution, colour, frame rate and High Dynamic Range (HDR) in consumer-friendly terms.
From a consumer’s point of view it can be difficult to understand the difference between SD, HD and UHD, so by using interactive side-by-side images, the website demonstrates the true levels of enhancement provided by HDR. There are also moving images to show the difference between 24fps and the new format’s potential to offer 60fps playback, which will enable smoother, more realistic motion.
In addition to the visual experience users will face, the site explains backward-compatibility with current Blu-ray discs and HDTVs. Ultra HD Blu-ray players will play all current Blu-ray Disc content, and when connected to a current HDTV television, the player will output a standard HDTV signal.View the new site here
BBC Three to move online from February 2016
The BBC Trust has confirmed the decision to make BBC Three an online-only channel from February 2016, on the condition that any of the channel's long-form programmes will still be shown on BBC One and Two.
Trustee Suzanna Taverne explained that "The evidence is very clear that younger audiences are watching more online and less linear TV", and that the proposal to close BBC as an on-air channel went through a full public consultation prior to finalising the decision.
DTT Protected for another ten years
A landmark decision was made at the ITU's World Radiocommunication Conference (WRC-15) on the use of UHF band; there will be no change in the allocation of 470MHz to 694MHz for ITU region 1 (which contains Europe) now or at WRC-19. Instead there will be a review of the entire UHF band 470MHz to 960MHz at WRC-23 where any further changes to the Radio Regulations will be decided.
DTG launches the R-Book Field Guide for Freeview & YouView aerial system installers
- Handy field guide supplements the complete R-Book 6
- Includes eight essential tips for successful DTT setup
- To be distributed through Alltrade and the CAI
The DTG, the UK collaboration centre for innovation in digital media technology, has launched the R-Book 6 Field Guide: a handy companion to the the recent 6th edition of its free R-Book for DTT aerial system installers.
The DTG's Dynamic Spectrum Access forum reviews the outcomes of WRC-15 and prepares for the future
DTG’s Dynamic Spectrum Access forum is organising its second annual spectrum-oriented event focusing on the outcomes of WRC-15. Looking at three key areas;
- Broadcast Industry (including PMSE issues)
- Mobile Industry (covering all provision for mobile broadband)
- Satellite Industry
There will also be an overall summary from DCMS to close the event
DTG and German TV Platform to join forces on Ultra HD plugfests
- National technology collaboration bodies begin series of joint equipment and content testing events
- Combines broadcasters, TV platforms and CE manufacturers active in Europe’s largest TV markets
The DTG UK UHD Forum and German TV Platform are joining forces to continue testing Ultra HD TVs, receivers, content and connectivity as new services develop.
German TV Platform is the German counterpart to the DTG, the UK collaboration centre for innovation in digital media technology, with its own industry group dedicated to Ultra HD TV.
26 Nov 2015
Joint DTG Displays Group & DTG Production Systems Group
27 Nov 2015
DTG MHEG Transition Task Group
2 Dec 2015
DTG RF Group
Most read DTG stories
- Manhattan to support Freeview Play
- Telco Lebara Launches New OTT Service
- DTG and CAI release draft of the latest R-Book for industry review
- DVB divided on UHD's path, Humax signs Netflix, and Apple TV to get DTT: DTG daily news September 16th 2015
- Freeview announces that all future products will be HD beyond 2016
- BBC News online threat, Netgem preps Netflix, VR head spa, and Ultra HD shopping: DTG daily news July 9th 2015
DTG in the news
- UK start-ups win IBC stand space
Broadcast :: 22 July 2015
- BBC, Sky and DVB honoured at DTG Awards
TVB Europe :: 14 May 2015
- Ofcom threatens action over 4K labelling
Broadband TV News :: 13 May 2015
- DTG and German TV Platform link for Ultra HD plugfests
Broadband TV News :: 17 November 2015
- UHD plugfests: Berlin and London calling
CSI :: 17 November 2015