DTG web site home page
Leading the evolution of television
The DTG is the centre for collaboration at the heart of the digital TV industry. More than 125 companies are members of the DTG, and collectively we drive innovation and growth in the television and technology sectors.
We're the only impartial space of its kind in the UK, and the joint expertise from DTG Members continues to define the technologies that make the UK a world-leading TV industry and ensure market interoperability.
DTG News Roundup
The Bazalgette Creative Industries Review
22 September 2017
Richard Lindsay-Davies, CEO of the DTG said: “We were delighted to be involved with the independent review of the creative industries sector which was led by ITV Chairman Peter Bazalgette. As the UK’s unique cross-industry collaboration centre for innovation in digital TV technology, the DTG is dedicated to supporting the UK broadcast industry and its contribution to the UK economy and works to bring the industry together to protect and maintain the viewer experience.”
The DTG agrees with the Review that the Creative Industries are enablers to other industries and there is a real need to exploit technologies such as Virtual and Augmented Reality, 5G and the other new technologies which will keep innovation strong. The DTG welcomes the focus on the UK’s world-class talent and expertise and emphasises the value of the Film, TV and Radio sector to the UK economy.
Lindsay-Davies continued: “The UK has an extraordinary track record in developing and sustaining a television industry that is both commercially successful and sustained by public service values. Our television industry remains the creative and economic keystone of the UK’s Creative Industries. Economics aside our £1.33bn UK television exports subtly, but effectively, drive home our fundamental values of democracy, rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance. We urge government to ensure that the future of UK television is distinctly addressed in the sector deal built on Sir Peter’s review.”
A decade ago: BBC WW launches channels on now TV
BBC Worldwide's Global Channels arm has launched three more channels on Hong Kong's internet protocol television (IPTV) service, now TV. The channels, BBC Knowledge, BBC Lifestyle and CBeebies, join BBC Entertainment on the PCCW-owned IPTV platform, the biggest in the world.
22 October 2007
The DTG's D-Book 9 defines latest UK TV industry requirements
- Hybrid broadcast broadband TV (HbbTV) references for the UK Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT)
- Improved picture quality with High Dynamic Range (HDR) – including the two key technologies Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) & Perceptual Quantizer (PQ10)
- More efficient encoding (HEVC) introduced to products to help pave the way for future UHD (Ultra High Definition) services
The DTG’s D-Book 9 is the industry determined, next generation, universally deployed specification which supports future interactive services and enables the transition towards HbbTV. Open, democratic and supportive of public policy, the D-Book is continually updated and peer-reviewed by industry experts, to help drive the UK TV market towards innovation and delivering real economic value in this vital industry.
UK HbbTV Plugfest
The second UK Interoperability Plugfest, held by DTG Testing on behalf of DUK, will take place at the DTG offices in London 20th - 21st September 2017. This Plugfest will be an opportunity to further validate devices and applications updated since they were first seen at the previous event in June this year.
8 Nov 2017
DTG PMSE Implementation Group
15 Nov 2017
DTG Board Meeting
15 Nov 2017
DTG Council Strategy Session
28 Nov 2017
DTG Accessibility Group
Most read DTG stories
- Deutsche TV-Platform & DTG Ultra HD Plugfest
- The DTG's D-Book 9 defines latest UK TV industry requirements
- Get Ready... for RED
- The DTG hosting 6th UHD Plugfest in collaboration with the German TV Platform
- Focus on Ultra HD and HDR: German TV-Platform and the DTG operate largest Plugfest to date
- DTG TESTING OFFERS FREEVIEW PLAY CONFORMANCE TESTING
DTG in the news
- BBC White Paper Industry Reaction
Advanced Television :: 13 May 2016
- Deutsche TV-Plattform: Plugfest soll UHD etablieren
Digital Fernsehen :: 06 April 2016
- Deutsche TV-Plattform und britische DTG setzen ihre Kooperation bei Ultra HD fort
Das IT Business Portal :: 06 April 2016
- Broadcasting transformation to IP: “Always put the viewer first”
IBC :: 19 September 2017
- DTG: we are are moving to an all-IP world
Digital TV Europe :: 19 September 2017