DTG web site home page
Leading the evolution of television
The DTG is the centre for collaboration at the heart of the digital TV industry. More than 125 companies are members of the DTG, and collectively we drive innovation and growth in the television and technology sectors.
We're the only impartial space of its kind in the UK, and the joint expertise from DTG Members continues to define the technologies that make the UK a world-leading TV industry and ensure market interoperability.
DTG Daily News Roundup
DTG Testing World First with new Euro-ready Digital Tick
21 July 2016
DTG Testing has become the first facility in the world to be ISO 17025 accredited for carrying out testing against the newly expanded Digital Radio Tick Mark specification.
DRUK has confirmed that the transition period for the new European-ready specification has been completed meaning that from 12th July 2016, all applications seeking the Digital Radio Tick Mark are required to test against the new specification.
The previous UK-only specification has been transformed to include testing that products meet sensitivity requirements across all Band III frequencies – meaning 38 channels are tested instead of 12; that products can correctly display all European Latin-based characters; and that radios using starburst displays can now map these characters.
“We’re happy to be the first facility to be accredited to carrying out this testing. As it appears, the UK was ahead of the curve through early adoption of the tick mark specification, and as a result, have set the standard for Europe,” says Alex Buchan, Principal RF Engineer at The DTG.
Richard Lindsay-Davies, CEO of the DTG added: “Research by the BBC has found that since its introduction in 2014, the tick mark has developed consumer confidence in the UK. By appearing on product packaging, buyers know that their product is DAB+ compatible, digital, ready for switchover, and most importantly, future-ready. We expect to see this attitude expanded with the adoption of the criteria across Europe—potentially expanding the market for digital radio, and promoting uptake of the technology.”
Regardless of being the sole-accredited body to carry out these tests, DTG Testing can provide facilities at short notice, delivering results by the next working day. Reports generated by DTG Testing can be used to directly apply for the tick mark, without completing any additional paperwork.
Be compliant with the new Radio Equipment Directive
The Radio Equipment Directive (RED) 2014/53/EU became effective from 13th June 2016 with a 1 year transition period and replaces the Radio and Telecommunications Terminal Equipment (RTTE) Directive 1999/5/EC.
The main impact of the change is that broadcast receivers are now under the scope of the RED whereas they were previously excluded from RTTE.
DTG HOSTS PMSE DEBATE
The DTG was recently delighted to host an informative debate on Programme Making & Special Events (PMSE) as part of its DTG Spectrum Access Forum activity. With speakers from the Department of Culture, Media & Sport, Ofcom, BBC, NATS and Sky as well as manufacturers Sennheiser and Shure the discussions reflected a broad range of opinion.
4 Aug 2016
DTG Mobile Video Alliance
15 Sep 2016
DTG Technical Oversight Group
15 Sep 2016
DTG Spectrum Access Forum
Most read DTG stories
- BBC Appoints new Studios Boss, The Government tackle landline fee, Nokia promotes VR technology and Samsung awarded RNIB's Inclusive Society Award : DTG Daily News March 24th
- Ofcom to make the UK a world-leading digital economy, House of Lords want to keep BBC mission and UKTV considering making channels available on Freeview : DTG Daily News February 25th
- Freeview Play specification available to all
- Adults Media Use & Attitudes report, Ericsson strengthen leadership team and ABC Studios wants British talent
- DTG at TV Connect 2016
- DTG Statement on DCMS White Paper ‘A BBC for the future: a broadcaster of distinction’
DTG in the news
- BBC White Paper Industry Reaction
Advanced Television :: 13 May 2016
- Deutsche TV-Plattform: Plugfest soll UHD etablieren
Digital Fernsehen :: 06 April 2016
- Deutsche TV-Plattform und britische DTG setzen ihre Kooperation bei Ultra HD fort
Das IT Business Portal :: 06 April 2016
- DTG Tests gains digital radio tick mark specification
Broadband TV News :: 22 July 2016
- Transition Over: DAB Radios much conform to new specs to get Digital Radio Tick Mark
a516digital :: 22 July 2016